Friday, July 30, 2010

Steak and Ramen

Best ramen! And I've had plenty. This is by far my favorite. It's a Korean brand and has all the spiciness that Koreans (and I) love. The noodles are much better quality than your average cup o' noodles and the flavoring is addictive. Boyfriend and I use it as popcorn seasoning occasionally! Very, very good stuff and lunch today.

Dinner last night was unbelievably delicious again. With the pad thai earlier in the week and my favorite, favorite, faaaavorite wings from my favorite wings place for dinner later, I dare say this is my favorite week culinarily so far! Unfortunately I didn't manage to snap any pics before they were devoured, but suffice to say, no steak sauce was needed at all.

The sauce was to die for! I'm definitely doubling or maybe even tripling the recipe next time so I can use it as a gravy over the smashed redskin potatoes we had with it. It was a rosemary, bourbon, mustard, worcestershire-based sauce. The worcestershire added a perfect tartness from the vinegar. The mustard was hot and sweet and added a nice kick. The rosemary was a surprisingly subtle earthiness. The bourbon had a delicious yeastiness that always reminds me of making cinnamon rolls. And the bacon was a perfect solution for grilling, adding the crispy crunch of caramelization and smoke. Absolutely amazing and quite simple! Definitely a winner that we'll have to make again. Soon. Boyfriend absolutely loved it too, of course, it was a big, delicious hunk of meat.

The recipe was adapted from allrecipes.com to suit our taste. The original is here, but the version we actually made is below:

Marinade:
~ 1.5 lbs steak
salt and pepper
2 gloves garlic, minced
4 T hot and sweet mustard

Crisp, crumble, and top:
4 slices bacon

Sauce:
1 T hot and sweet mustard
1 T dry rosemary
1/4 cup bourbon
2 T worcestershire sauce
1/2 T brown sugar
1 T lemon juice

So you can see we modified quite a few of the measurements!

No comments:

Post a Comment